Saturday, October 2, 2010

Learning to do without...

Well it is finally here! Our HHE (House Hold Effects) and my beloved Toyota Sienna minivan/mommycar.

Our stuff arrived in country 3 weeks ago and while our HHE was cleared very quickly, our car was not. And since they'd been shipped in the same container, they would not let our HHE be delivered before our car.
It is what it is...you can be upset or impatient, but it won't change a thing. So you just accept it and learn to do without. And it was in fact, surprisingly easy to learn to do without. The girls are able to amuse themselves without their bedroom full of toys, and have learned to entertain themselves with other things like 'cooking' with leaves and flowers outside. I find I have rediscovered my passion for reading and swimming, and of course I always have my photography.

As for our clothes, we all wear the same things over and over. It's hot here, we sweat, wash and wear. I honestly am not sure what I will do with all the extra clothes that have now arrived. We don't have enough hanging closet space for it all...perhaps I should leave it boxed up. It's not like I wasn't fine without it for the last 6 weeks.


But then as I start to unpack, it feels like Christmas all over again. The girls squeal as their toys are unpacked and Rokhaya and I are equally excited at all the kitchen stuff that appears and will make our (ok, mostly Rokhaya's) life easier in the kitchen. (She was especially excited at seeing the garlic press and corning-ware.) Scott is in rapture over seeing his bicycles again.

We all sighed a contented sigh at unpacking the big flat screen tv. Yes, certain things are very welcome in making our house feel like a home again. I was particularly happy at seeing my pictures again. Nothing quite says "You're home!", like a bunch of pictures on the wall.

So yes, while we certainly learned how to do without, it is in fact, quite nice to have some of our 'stuff' around us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment