Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Grade - First Day of School

As I am a little behind on my blogging of late (erm..okay a LOT behind), just a little post about Ami's first day of school. She started school at The International School of Dakar (ISD for short), the week after we arrived. So by this writing, she's been in school for two weeks now.

First Grade

The transition seems to have been a relatively easy one. She is on target for what they expect from her and so far the homework she's been bringing home is stuff she already knows. Now her reading however, well, that leaves much to be desired. We haven't figured out yet if she's a little dyslexic or just bored, lazy, tired or a bit of all of the above.

So we will continue to work with her every day on it and hopefully see an improvement before too long. I so hope she will develop the love of reading that I have. I can't imagine missing out on all those wonderful books out there, what a shame that would be.

Club Atlantique

But for now, Ayla and I will walk Ami to school every morning and pick her up again in the afternoon. Some afternoons we go straight on to the pool at the Club Atlantique which is adjacent to ISD. It's also where she gets swim lessons once a week as part of her school curriculum. I remember getting swim lessons at The Ndege Girl School too when I was a kid (now named the Nairobi Academy). And horse riding lessons! I loved growing up in Africa, I hope my girls will love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment